APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED:
- Complete online EPUD Application
- Cover Letter (Explain why you want to be considered for this position and provide details about your past work-related experience to support your qualifications.)
- Veteran's Preference Form, if applicable
Visit www.epud.org/about-us/careers to apply.
Position closes at 12 PM on Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
Job Summary: This is a temporary one-year assignment that includes the full-time employee benefit package. Regular, full-time employment could become available based on performance, but cannot be guaranteed at this time.
As a Journeyman Tree Trimmer this position works with a small crew of two to three individuals to remove trees and brush near and around high voltage power lines and maintain clearances on all right-of-ways. This critical process can reduce the risk of power outages and damage to Emerald’s equipment and facilities due to falling trees and limbs. In addition, this process ensures crews have access to Emerald’s equipment in order to conduct routine maintenance and repairs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Amount of time working in each function may vary. It is expected that the amount of time spent performing each function will fluctuate as needed for an employee to successfully manage their schedule.
- Trimming- Remove trees, limbs, and brush growing in or near power lines within the utility rights-of-way and on customers’ private property on a daily basis. Prepare and clean up tree crew work areas, including raking and sweeping debris from the tree trimming process as needed. Properly care and account for all assigned tools and materials at all times. Submit necessary reports in a timely and legible manner as needed. This position works outside near high voltage power lines. As a result, there is exposure to adverse weather, heavy machinery, hazardous chemicals and materials, and loud noises on a daily basis. In order to ensure the safety of all individuals on site, this role must stay informed about safe work practices and regulations, keep a safe work area and prioritize and practice safe work habits at all times.
- Team Contribution- Crew members rely on one another to keep each other safe and get the work done in a safe, efficient, and effective manner. This requires building trust with one another to follow safe work practices and continuously assess the environment for unsafe working conditions. Constructive, collaborative, and effective communication with other crew members is crucial in developing work plans and following safe work practices. This role should also focus on developing strong working relationships with employees throughout the organization and look for opportunities to collaborate or support other departments in order to help with companywide objectives, tasks, and projects.
- Work Management- Embrace the culture of empowerment by using sound judgment, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing problems, making reasonable recommendations, and developing alternate solutions when necessary. Take ownership of assignments and follow through to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and in a thorough manner. Take initiative to solve problems and explore opportunities to increase efficiencies.
- Customer Service- Provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers to ensure expectations are met or exceeded. This includes working with property owners to notify them when crews will be working in the area, answering any questions they may have, and obtaining their permission to remove or trim trees. Working with customers in a pleasant, courteous, and respectful manner is required in order to help build Emerald’s brand as a trusted advisor and provider of choice.
- Perform other duties as assigned related to the job.
- Must exercise efficient time management, self-motivation, initiative, resourcefulness and organization.
- Must be able to work with customers and the public in a pleasant, courteous, and respectful manner.
- Must demonstrate the ability to use sound judgment when faced with problems or addressing difficult customer situations.
- Must work well in a team environment and collaborate across departments including peers, customers, and agency personnel.
- Must be willing to use technology, such as iPads, to complete assignments.
- Must be willing and able to learn new concepts and adopt alternative techniques within the rapidly changing utility industry.
- Must be a journeyman tree trimmer with 2 years' experience working near high voltage power lines.
- Must have working knowledge of line materials and practices, as this position can be called upon to work as a groundman for line crews.
- Must have truck driving experience and hold a currently valid Oregon Class A CDL. If CDL is not a Class, must obtain a Class A within one year of hire.
- Must have an excellent driving record.
- Herbicide spray license is preferred.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Must be able to regularly climb trees using conventional climbing gear and aerial lifts, reach with long-handled trimming tools, operate chainsaws, pruners, and related hand tools.
- Must be able to frequently lift, carry, pull, and push items sometimes in excess of 60 lbs. in rough terrain and adverse weather.
- Must be able to crouch, stoop, twist, turn and balance on a regular basis.
- Must be able to maintain a level of fitness and agility that will meet the physical requirements of the job.
- Must be able to continuously assess the environment due to regular exposure to high voltage power lines, heavy equipment, inclement weather, rough terrain, and hazardous chemicals in order to ensure personal safety and the safety of others.
- Must be willing to work over the regular 40 hour/week schedule if requested and be willing to be called out for service in the event of a power outage or other emergency.
- This position is subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) drug and alcohol policies and testing.
Note: This description is intended to represent key areas of responsibility. It is not meant to be all inclusive and does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Nothing in this description restricts EPUD’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Job descriptions may occasionally be updated, as necessary, to reflect evolving business needs.